PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 60 minutes
Recipe adapted from https://themodernproper.com/swedish-meatballs.
Original publication date December 15, 2022
1 lb G.A.P. Animal Welfare Certified ground beef
1 lb G.A.P. Animal Welfare Certified ground pork
¼ cup flat leaf parsley, minced
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper, freshly ground
4 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup butter
½ cup flour*
4 cups beef broth
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tbsp lemon juice
¼ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
- In a large bowl, mix the beef, pork, parsley, allspice, nutmeg, grated onion, salt, pepper, garlic, panko and eggs until combined. Using a tablespoon or cookie scoop, measure out the meat mixture into 1.5 inch balls.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until browned on all sides. Set aside.
- When all of the meatballs are browned, pour off any excess grease in the pan, into a safe container. Lower the heat to medium and add the butter to the pan. When the butter begins to bubble, sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef broth to the pan slowly, so the gravy stays thick.
- Whisk the gravy until the broth is all incorporated. Add salt, pepper, lemon juice, allspice, and nutmeg. Whisk a few more times. Slowly add the cream.
- Once the gravy begins to simmer (don’t boil!), add the meatballs back into the pan.
- Simmer until the gravy has thickened and the meatballs are cooked all the way through (165 degrees Fahrenheit on the inside), about 8-10 minutes.
- Move to a serving bowl, insert toothpicks, and serve warm.