Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
PREP TIME: 1 hour
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
Recipe adapted from https://www.aheadofthyme.com/chicken-satay-skewers-with-peanut-sauce/.
Original publication date December 15, 2022
2 lbs. chicken breasts, boneless and skinless cut into 1-inch cubes
¼ cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Lime wedges, chopped peanuts, 1 tsp fresh parsley, for serving
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (or dark soy sauce)
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon red curry paste (optional)
½ tablespoon fresh lime juice
½ tablespoon honey (or white sugar)
¼ cup boiling water
1 tablespoon roasted peanuts, chopped
- Marinate the chicken: Place cubed chicken into a Ziploc bag. Add in all the marinade ingredients (coconut milk, soy sauce, fish sauce, yellow curry powder, brown sugar, minced garlic, ginger and vegetable oil). Seal the bag and press/squeeze the marinade around the cubed chicken to coat. Unzip the bag, let the air out, and seal tightly. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Make the peanut sauce: Combine all of the ingredients (hoisin sauce, peanut butter, red curry paste (optional), lime juice, honey and water) into a medium bowl. Stir well with a spoon until smooth. Sprinkle chopped roasted peanuts on top.
- Prepare the chicken skewers: Remove chicken from marinade and thread the pieces onto skewers (about 4 to 5 pieces per skewer).
- Grill the skewers: Heat a grill pan over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes and lightly brush the grill with some vegetable oil. You should notice the oil sizzle when it’s hot and ready. Grill the chicken skewers for 8-10 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Place the skewers on a plate with peanut sauce and lime wedges. Sprinkle roasted peanuts and chopped parsley on top.