Global Animal Partnership (GAP) is a non-profit charitable organization founded in 2008. GAP brings together farmers, scientists, ranchers, retailers, manufacturers, and animal advocates all collaborating with a common purpose: improving the welfare of animals in agriculture. GAP is making a difference by creating and managing a comprehensive 5-Step® Animal Welfare Rating program for farm animals, where farms and ranches are audited every 15 months by an independent third-party. Through our 5-Step® Rating program and labeled product program, producers and consumers can choose to support a program that continuously improves the lives of farm animals step-by-step. As of February 1, 2018, 3400+ farms and ranches are certified to GAP’s standards that range from Step 1 to Step 5+, impacting over 290 million animals annually.
Position: Aquaculture Welfare Specialist
Type: Full time contract position (2 year, with option to renew)
Start Date: April 2018
Location: Preference is for position to be in Austin, TX, but consideration will be given to an alternative location.
About the Position:
Reporting to the Executive Director and Farm Animal Welfare Manager, the core responsibilities of this
position will include:
- Developing and launching a multi-step framework for aquaculture with marketing descriptions
relevant to aquaculture
- Creating a standard for farmed salmon (with a plan for 3-5 additional aquaculture species)
- Contributing to development of a strategy for consumer and partner outreach and engagement
- Leading the creation of a promotional campaign for launching the initial species (press releases, partner farm(s), brochures, web-based assets)
- Establishing and maintaining an aquaculture network of relevant partners and stakeholders
- Supporting marketing and social communication initiatives
- Performing other duties as required
- Ability to travel 35%
- Ph. D. in animal production / animal science / welfare science with specialization in aquaculture (M.Sc. will be considered)
- Experience with sustainability issues related to aquaculture
- Experience with aquaculture supply chain and industry
- Self starter, with ability to self-manage and plan
- Ability to work with a remote team
- Proven technical expertise with animal welfare and aquaculture
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills, including the ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Great personality – a team player who is able to have fun and create a positive work environment!
- Preference for US citizen or permanent resident
Commensurate with experience. Benefits package available for US citizens.
For more information or to apply:
Please send résumé to: email@example.com
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The position will remain open until filled, but to ensure consideration, applications should be received by
April 27th, 2018.